Let’s Work Together!
Position: Administrative Assistant
Duration: Part-Time, Temporary (Seasonal)
Closing Date: Open until filled
Start Date: May 10, 2021
Job Level: Assistant
Intended job posting audience
Anyone who can legally work in Canada can apply for this job. If you are not currently authorized to work in Canada, the employer will not consider your job application.
About the YTM
You will join the YTM as we begin our 31st year. Our robust organisation is looking forward to the future while weathering the pandemic and its related challenges. We are an optimistic, adaptive and positive place wherein your enthusiasm, dedication and skill will be key to our continued success.
We care about our community and are committed to the social responsibility we hold. The Yukon Transportation Museum believes history has real impact when all kinds of people can find themselves in the stories, and then are moved to change, impact or contribute to their society.
Mission: The Yukon Transportation Museum introduces people to Yukon ingenuity and self-sufficiency through the history of transportation in the territory.
Mandate: To identify, acquire, preserve and conserve the history, cultural material and artifacts of Yukon’s transportation modes and to interpret this history in an educational manner for all Yukoners and visitors alike.
The Yukon Transportation Museum is a not-for-profit society.
You are the type of person who cares about the place you live and the people around you. You pay attention to detail and understand good records are integral to an institution holding a high standard of professionalism. You are an effective communicator, and you appreciate your role as an organizer, recorder and documenter. You pay attention to detail, are fantastic at managing your time and take pride in your career.
The Administrative Assistant is a temporary, part-time position assisting us with daily, weekly and monthly administrative and operational functions.
Focus: Filing, Records Management, Gift Shop, Financials Tracking, Staff Organization and Training
Lines of Accountability: Administrative Assistant reports to the Operations Manager.
Administrative Assistant helps Operations Manager supervise FOH and facility staff
Staff backup: Administrative Assistant backs up Operations Manager and vice-versa.
ADMINISTRATIVE and FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for filing, sorting, and general office organization
- Assists Operations Manager in delivering financial information and records to bookkeeper in a timely manner
- Day-to-day financial administration and financial record keeping
- Compiles bi-weekly bookkeeper submissions (AR, AP, Payroll, etc.)
- Prepares invoices for rentals, grants, memberships, tours, and donations
- Prepares receipts for charitable donations
MUSEUM OPERATIONS and FACILITY MANAGEMENT
- Maintains knowledge of YTM operational policies and procedures
- Assists in tracking all summer retail operations including gift shop merchandising and display, inventory management, transaction software and hardware, cash management and reporting
- Helps maintain detailed statistics of visitors/users/members
- Checks and monitors all indoor and outdoor physical spaces for daily operational readiness
- Monitors the cleaning and maintenance schedule, provides guidance to summer staff as to their daily responsibilities at the museum and assists in accomplishing cleaning and maintenance goals
- Works with Operations Manager to ensure that all office, janitorial, gift shop, and kitchen supplies are replenished and cleaning is conducted according to seasonal schedule
- Supports a healthy organizational culture and collaborative working environment among staff
- Assists Operations Manager in providing secondary supervision for FOH staff
- Schedules summer staff, supports staff training and performance planning
- Attends weekly or other staff meetings as requested
- Tuesday morning: Prepare package for bookkeeper, track Visa spending, AR/AP, payroll
- Tuesday afternoon: Gift shop management (inventory, sales, Lightspeed receipts, tracking)
- Wednesday morning: Prepare invoices and receipts, track memberships in Sumac
- Wednesday afternoon: Staff review, staff and cleaning scheduling, building and grounds review
- Thursday (additional or expanded tasks if needed or required)
A combination of relevant education and experience will be considered.
- Advanced ability with Google Suite and Microsoft products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with or willingness to learn Sumac and Lightspeed.
- A minimum of two years experience in an administrative role. Familiarity with traditional bookkeeping processes is an asset.
- Interested in pursuing advanced training to strengthen skills as needed
- Available to work 16-24 hours per week from mid-May to September. YTM may be flexible with scheduling
- Written and oral proficiency in English. Other languages considered a very strong asset
- Personal Suitability: Interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Attention to detail; Excellent oral communication; Excellent written communication; Reliable; Organized
Range: $20-25 per hour
Please send your application package via email to sean@goYTM.ca with the subject line: Admin Assistant 2021. Applications must include the following:
- Your resume
- A (brief!) cover letter introducing yourself