About the YTM
You will join the YTM as we enter our 31st year. Our robust organisation is looking forward to the future while weathering the pandemic and its related challenges. We are an optimistic, adaptive and positive place wherein your enthusiasm, dedication and skill will be key to our continued success.
We care about our community and are committed to the social responsibility we hold. The Yukon Transportation Museum believes history has real impact when all kinds of people can find themselves in the stories, and then are moved to change, act or contribute to society.
Mission: The Yukon Transportation Museum introduces people to Yukon ingenuity and self-sufficiency through history of transportation in the territory.
Mandate: The Yukon Transportation Museum acquires, preserves and studies the history and material culture of Yukon’s transportation modes and interprets this history in an education manner for all Yukoners and visitors alike.
The Yukon Transportation Museum is a not-for-profit society.
You are the type of person who cares about the place you live and the people around you. You value performing clerical work to a high standard of professionalism. You are an effective communicator, and you appreciate your role as, often, the first point of contact between us and our partners, visitors and volunteers. You are organized, pay attention to detail and take pride in your career.
As an integral part of the management team, the Administrator supports operations and plays a substantial role in our ability to provide excellent visitor experiences. The Administrator oversees/performs all administrative functions, supervises and delegates to reporting staff to ensure smooth operations in our general operations, tours, events, rentals, and programs.
Lines of Accountability: Position reports to the Executive Director.
All Front of House (FOH) and maintenance staff report to the Administrator.
Staff backup: The administrator backs up the Executive Director and vice-versa.
The administrator backs up the facility and FOH staff.
COMMUNICATIONS, VISITOR EXPERIENCE, PARTNERSHIPS
- All positions at the museum are representatives to stakeholders in the heritage and broader community, this position is encourage to take leadership positions in the community by joining related boards, volunteer roles: work time is alotted
- Maintain positive, productive, collaborative relationships with relevant stakeholders
- Participates in Board meetings when requested to deliver operational reports
- Updates relevant aspects of the Museum’s Visitor Experience Standards & Implementation Plan
- Maintains and updates the membership program and works towards achieving annual goals
- Works with the Executive Director on external messaging; takes responsibility for distributing member communications and ensures timely membership renewals
- Maintains and updates appropriate contact lists and Sumac database as required for members, vendors, stakeholders, volunteers, staff and board
ADMINISTRATIVE and FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for clear and accurate records and financials, positive and detailed communications.
- Delivers financial information and records to bookkeeper when required
- Provides accurate information to the Executive Director for reports to the board and stakeholders
- Provides administrative support to others on the senior management team
- Provides or procures from bookkeeper detailed reports for budget creation and monitoring
- Maintains detailed records of grants and programs and their deliverables, deadlines
- Maintains detailed statistics of visitors/users
- Day-to-day financial administration and financial record keeping
- Compiles bi-weekly bookkeeper submissions AR, AP, Payroll, etc – collect, code, organize
- Prepares invoices for rentals, grants, memberships, tours, and donations
- Sends out invoices and collects on unpaid invoices in timely manner
- Filing, sorting, and general organisation skills
- Bank deposits on regular basis, monthly compilation of bank and VISA statements
- Manages Front-of-House operations including supervising FOH staff, assists with hiring
- Maintains knowledge of and implements operational policies and procedures, in line with museum standards and in support of annual or project goals or as needed.
- Contributes to and implements key performance indicators measurements and supports the annual review of museum performance standards
- Responsible for supervising retail operations including gift shop merchandising and display, inventory management, transaction software and hardware, cash management and reporting
- Liaises with event renters to confirm requirements, and schedules staff for events
- Conducts standard survey of all renters within two weeks of a rental to measure satisfaction and obtain feedback
- Is or becomes familiar with laws, regulations and certifications related to facility and museum operations
- Maintains complete and current operational records of the organization
FACILITY, SECURITY, RISK MANAGEMENT
- Proactively identifies, evaluates and reports any potential operational risks to people and property
- Checks and monitors all indoor and outdoor physical spaces to ensure ongoing daily operational readiness
- Sets and monitors the cleaning and maintenance schedule
- Ensures office, cleaning, gift shop, and kitchen supplies are replenished and cleaning is conducted according to seasonal schedule
- Provides access to the facility for rental clients and contracted workers as appropriate
- Supports a healthy organizational culture and collaborative working environment among staff
- Implements HR policies and procedures; maintains clear and accurate HR records
- Maintains and updates job descriptions for all direct and indirect reports, for both paid staff and volunteers
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, recruits, interviews and trains staff and volunteers that directly and indirectly report to this position
- Responsible for scheduling staff and volunteers to meet operational needs within approved budget parameters
- Assesses, guides and mentors staff and volunteers as appropriate
- Identifies any HR gaps and proposes ways to fill them
- Supports staff performance planning and assessment monthly and/or annually
- Maintains employee records and performance evaluation and reporting as needed
- Supports the volunteer program as a whole, taking part in recruitment and training of volunteers across all museum departments as requested.
- Attends weekly or other staff meetings as requested
A combination of relevant education and experience will be considered.
- Advanced ability with Microsoft Office Suite; Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Familiarity or ability to learn Sumac and Lightspeed. This position may use the following programs/software/technologies — familiarity is an asset: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, WordPress, Vimeo, Sea Monkey, InDesign, Irfanview
- A minimum of two years in a role requiring administrative attention
- Degree or certificate in administration, project management, office management, business management
- Interested in pursuing advanced training to strengthen skills needed
- From time to time you will may be asked to lift heavy items, be on your feet for sustained periods of time, spend time outdoors
- Availability 9-5, M-F (37.5 hours/week). Potential for bi-weekly Fridays off. The work schedule will be relatively static work, however there may be occasions where working outside of the conventional schedule will be needed
- Written and oral proficiency in English. Other languages considered a very strong asset
- Ability to supervise up to six people
- Personal Suitability: Interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Excellent oral communication; Excellent written communication; Reliable; Organized
$45,000 to $55,000 per annum
Health Benefits available after successful completion of three month probationary period.
Deadline: January 8, 2021. Anticipated start date January 28, 2021.
Please send your application package including the following via email to janna@goYTM.ca with the subject line: Administrator Application
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the position
- CV detailing related work experience